Book: Living Again
Author: LL Collins
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: October 4, 2013
Hosted by: Book Enthusiast Promotions
Kayley Carson thought she had it all–married to the love of her life, a great job, and a baby on the way. Then one day, her life changes forever when she loses her husband in a tragic accident. No longer sure how to navigate life after her enormous loss, Kayley clings to her newborn baby, her family, and her friends to keep herself living.
When she meets someone that challenges her belief that she’s better off alone, she has to decide if she is capable of letting him in after swearing she was never going to love anyone the same way again.
She’s not the only one with a painful past. He is struggling with trust issues after a previous relationship went horribly wrong. After a terrible misunderstanding brings out both of their insecurities, will the painful memories of the past keep them both from living again?”
Watch the book trailer HERE!!
**ARC kindly provided by author in exchange for an honest review**
4.5 Emotional Stars
This book is an emotionally gripping story of finding love, losing love and trying to move on and learning to live and love again. I have to say that I felt so many different emotions during this story. This book made me cry (ALOT), smile, swoon, yell, and just overall fulfilled. To me this book is kind of broken into three parts. The first 1/3 of the book is all about Alex’s tragedy and how Kayley copes and raises her daughter. The middle 1/3 is all about her getting to know Ben and going through some highs and lows with him and learning to trust herself and another man. The last 1/3 is all about how Kayley and Ben have grown together as a couple and as a family. It’s like a really extended HEA or epilogue. We are really taken full circle in this book. We saw everything that happened to Kayley over a 5 year period. Now I will say that even though I cried a lot during this read, they weren’t all tears of sorrow. As this story continues and Kayley and Ben begin to open up more and trust each other my tears turned to tears of joy and happiness. This book truly had every facet a book should have. We had sad times, happy times, and some drama (towards the middle of the book) But once that drama was over it was nice to see that it was just a fun easy love story. I will say the only real reason that I didn’t give this book a 5 star rating was because of the length of the book. I know that sounds weird, but to me, especially in the beginning of the book, there is definitely a lot of repetition of the story. For the first 1/3 of the book we would read one thing and then it was either brought back up later in the same chapter or in the next chapter. I do understand that the author was trying to really get Kayley’s pain and torment across to the reader but I think it got to be just a little to much. Without some of that in there the book would’ve been a little shorter but still got the full story and emotion across. With that said it really didn’t deter me from my full enjoyment of the book.
I have to say that this book truly expressed one of my greatest fears in my life and that is the loss of my husband. I thought the author portrayed Kayley and her feelings and emotions excellently. You truly felt what she was feeling and going through after the loss of Alex. Kayley was a very strong character and to me was a wonderful role model for Alexis. She never really annoyed me, yes there were times that I wanted to shake her and tell her to wake up, but I could completely understand why she was feeling and reacting the way she did. As for Ben….I think I said to myself “Is this man for real” for the majority of the book. Now don’t get me wrong that is not a bad thing, because even though Ben was over the top romantic and loving, it still felt believable. Ben did have some faults, he wasn’t completely perfect but pretty darn close. I will say that I as extremely pissed at him about half way through the book. I thought his reaction to a certain situation was a little over the top. But I guess on the other hand I could also understand why he reacted the way he did. You’ll have to read the story to know what I am talking about.
If you are a person who likes stories that include children in the story, then you need to meet Alexis. I think she was the best child ever created in a book. She was so darn adorable and lovable. I have to say I was glad to see that Kayley and Ben never let Alexis for get about her real dad Alex. It was great and refreshing to see that they weren’t trying to replace him with Ben.
As for the secondary characters….I have to say that this was the best group of secondary characters I have read about. I loved each and every one of them. There really too many to list separately, but just know that each of them helped both Kayley and Ben in so many ways. They were truly a great group of friends and family. Even Dana, who was the villainness of the story, was pretty tame compared some others I have read about.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an emotional love story that is about losing love, finding love again and learning to move on.
Enter here for a chance to win one signed paperback with bookmark (US only), $10 Amazon Gift card, or 5 signed bookmarks (US only) —–> a Rafflecopter giveaway
LL Collins is a 30-something teacher from Florida. She’s a wife, mom, daughter, sister, and friend. Her love of writing has found a home in the self-publishing world. Look for her debut novel, Living Again, coming October 4th to eBook and paperback, and her second novel, Reaching Rachel, in January 2014. LL has been writing since she was old enough to write. Always a story in her head, she finally decided to let the characters out and start writing and try to make her lifelong dreams of becoming an author come true. She has been a teacher for over ten years, a wife for 14, and a mom to two boys, 11 and 9.
Goodreads Author: http://www.goodreads.com/LLCollins
20 Fun Facts
1. I’m a full time elementary school teacher as my “real” job
2. I’m married to my high school sweetheart (we met when I was 16)
3. I am mom to two boys, 9 and 11
4. I’m a procrastinator and work best under pressure
5. I love to shop on Black Friday just for the craziness and fun of spending time with my girls. It’s a yearly tradition.
6. I’ve never lived anywhere but Florida
7. I named my little sister after a character in the Facts of Life. I was four 🙂
8. I wrote Living Again in under two months
9. My original major in college was Occupational Therapy, but I went back to my love– English/ Creative Writing not long after starting my first anatomy class
10. I wrote a series when I was a kid called “Camp Sticks”
11. I graduated from Florida State University and have been a lifelong NOLE fan. I bleed garnet and gold.
12. I’m a big Honda lover. I’ve owned six of them in my life.
13. I am seriously addicted to my iPhone (and Facebook)
14. My dream would be to write full time and hope that someday that goal can be attained.
15. I have several friends that I have had for 20+ years that are still HUGE parts of my life
16. I didn’t like coffee- at all- until seven years ago. Now I can’t live without it
17. We have a serious love of Moe’s (WELCOME TO MOE’S)
18. Target and I are BFF’s. However, my wallet (and my hubby) disagree
19. Before I became a teacher, my best friend and I wanted to open our own bridal shop
20. Publishing my first book has been a complete and total amazing experience and it has surpassed my wildest dreams.